Wednesday 9 May 2012

Should it stay or should it go?

Moving house is one thing. Moving country is quite another.

You haven't truly decluttered until you've stared down the barrel of a miscellaneous toiletries collection and agonised over the destiny of each item. Is it: a) in date, b) worth using up, c) worth giving away, d) worth shipping over, or e) none of the above? All those bits and pieces carefully stockpiled during Christmases, birthdays and special offers on Soap and Glory at Boots, then hidden away and forgotten about until newly purchased, identical products join them in the darkness. Not for me, the luxury of shoving it all into a box and shifting it a few miles down the road. I now have to make a decision on every single thing I own. Every. Single. Thing.

Never mind the bath bombs. What about the books? Trinny and Susannah's sage words may have languished in the garage for many a year (we never did get around to installing a bookcase) but what if I need to identify the shape of my bottom at some indeterminate point in the future? It may be a life or death situation (sartorially speaking, of course) in which access to that particular book is crucial. Do I take it? Do I store it? Do I give it away? You can see the bind I'm in. Likewise with my collection of cookbooks. I imagine I could be the sort of person who enjoys entertaining (still waiting for that personality trait to emerge) and naturally, I don't need to tell you that it would be beneficial to have a little bit of Nigella on hand to see me through.

Nevertheless, we have to be ruthless. There is no point in taking two sets of salad servers, regardless of the fact they were both gifts, as I have maybe used a set only once, no doubt trying to impress upon a hapless dinner guest that I was indeed a seasoned giver of hospitality. So, neither will make the journey. The same fate awaits the cast iron tea press, the crystal candle holder and the red faux leather magazine basket I was so chuffed to find as it matched the rug, giving the illusion of a co-ordinated design effort in the lounge.

In stark contrast, all of M's possessions will go with us, including a wardrobe that would put Derek Zoolander's to shame. In starting our new adventure we may have nary a scatter cushion between us, but our son will look fabulous. That's all that matters, surely.

4 comments:

  1. Exciting times ahead Heidi, but I appreciate first hand the process of actually getting here! I laughed out loud reading this post when I got to the point about the salad servers because I just went out and bought a second set!!! We seem to be hosting a lot of BBQ's (the easiest way to host with a bub, in my opinion) and there are always so many salads! Also, don't be too quick to throw anything out thinking, 'I will just buy this over there' everything here is SO SO SO expensive... especially baby products, but of course you know that ;) Jakobi is looking forward to his first play-date with M, can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Both the salad servers are wooden so I think they're banned anyway. I'll have to message you with yet more questions shortly, I think. Thanks for all your help!

      Delete
  2. Please leave us a scatter cushion trail so we can come and visit you!
    Beautifully written (as always), witty, insightful and vulnerable. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better yet, we shall leave a trail of Toffifee! x

      Delete